Monday, July 19, 2010

And so It Begins.........

When I was a little girl, we lived on a farm.Scott County was much different back in the early 60's. We were a very rural, agriculturally based area. Our farm sat about 1 and 1/2 miles from the Clark/Scott county line.


Back in the day,( I used to HATE it when my parents would say that) most of the area around our farm belonged to other families, you could go several miles, before getting to someone else's farm. It wasn't like living in the big city of Scottsburg.


We raised beef cattle, Charlois to be exact, and one of my favorite past times was following the cow path's thru the field. The cows would follow one after another and walk in a row to the barn, or to the back forty, so they would wear a path in the field.


During those hot, southern Indiana summers, a cow path felt good on a little girls bare feet. They were wore down, and in the hot , dry sun the earth became soft from the continual pounding of hooves.


I can remember how the soft dust would sift up thru my toes, and "POOF" up into the air, then it would gently settle down on to the tops of my feet.


As there wasn't much to do back then, I would walk those paths, pretending to be on an AFRICAN SAFARI, or the Oregon trail, my adventures took me anywhere my creative mind would lead me!


Life, my dear friend, is very similar to a cow path. It can be as complicated, or simple as you choose to make it.


The trek, can be littered with adventure, creativity, joy, and laughter, but once in awhile just as a walk along the cow path, one might encounter some crap!


But how you handle that crap, how you go around it, over it or thru it is totally up to you.


This blog be it ever so humble, is my attempt to get back to the simple life of my youth, and to share along the way, my struggles, joys, and accomplishments, as well as a story now and then, a memory that needs to be shared, so they are not lost or forgotten.


I hope you enjoy our journey, it maybe get bumpy at times, but I believe that life along the cow path is worth every step.......so let's get mooooooving!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! Yours looks great! Love the design and your writing is beautiful. Keep it up, 'cause I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete